Introduction to Home Management
Welcome to the Home Management section of our website. These pages can help you maintain a safe and healthy living environment.
Are you comfortable with handling home emergencies, managing your kitchen, or shopping for groceries? If not, BALANCE for Blind Adults can help. We offer programs in Daily Living Skills and Orientation and Mobility. We can also connect you with a Community Access facilitator who can work with you to find support.
The following questions can help you assess your needs:
- How do you meet your daily food needs?
- Can you cook or would you like to learn?
- Are you aware of food preparation techniques and safe food handling?
- How do you shop for groceries?
- If you live on your own, are you aware of various cleaning products and how to use them safely?
- Do you understand the safety precautions that come with appliances like stoves, microwaves, and toaster ovens?
- Do you know how to manage your medications independently?
- Do you understand fire safety procedures and how to exit quickly and safely?
- Do you have a first aid kit and know how to use the contents?
- Is your bathroom safe?
You may also want to look into the Hadley School for the Blind’s extension education course on “Safety in the Home”.