Assistive Technology (AT) Apprenticeship Program
BALANCE recognizes that there is a shortage of quality employment opportunities for persons who are vision impaired looking to enter the workplace for the first time.
This Apprenticeship Program aims to provide an employment opportunity where individuals can improve transferable skills, learn teamwork and build problem solving capacity for a well-rounded work experience. Apprentices in this program will be responsible for teaching Assistive Technology to BALANCE clients. BALANCE will ensure that persons entering the program will be provided with all the necessary instruction and support required to assist in a successful outcome.
Suitable applicants must demonstrate the following:
- Strong computer aptitude; this includes proficiency in the use of smart phones and devices, screen readers, or screen magnification software;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Collaborate well with other and work effectively as part of a team;
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills;
- The ability to work independently and responsibly;
- A willingness to learn and be receptive to feedback.
- Gain valuable work experience;
- Opportunity for individual mentorship and professional development;
- Become a more efficient user of Assistive Technology, and
- Learn new skills that will enhance overall independence and benefit work productivity no matter the career path chosen!
This is a 250 hour program. 200 hours will be spent providing one-on-one AT instruction to both new and less competent users of assistive technology software and/or hardware. The other 50 hours will be reserved for completing administrative tracking and reporting on client progress.
Qualified applicants would be provided with the opportunity to perform contract work with BALANCE for up to 12 hours per week, $17/hour.
How to Apply:
If you would like to apply or have general questions about the AT Apprenticeship Program, please call the BALANCE office at 416-236-1796 ext. 0 or email email@example.com.
This opportunity to any resident of Canada, as the work can be performed remotely. Those within the GTA will have the opportunity to work face-to-face with clients as needed in the future.