BALANCE for Blind Adults is an Employer of Choice for persons who are blind or partially sighted. Over 50% of our employees are blind or have low vision and have been vision rehabilitation service users themselves. The level of employment among blind persons in Canada is disgraceful. Only about 35% have jobs, so we at BALANCE are proud of the fact that we are setting an example to other employers in the city of Toronto and in Canada. We seek out experienced and knowledgeable people and we believe that lived experience helps to create a dynamic, caring and empathetic learning environment. At BALANCE, we also provide a supportive management approach which permits growth and development in the workplace. We believe that a caring workplace builds a strong staff team, which in turn improves programs and services and benefits our clients.
Job Posting-December 18, 2017
Part-time Occupational Therapist
BALANCE currently has an opportunity for a part-time Occupational Therapist (14 hours/week).
Summary of Duties
The Occupational Therapist (OT) works as a member of the BALANCE team. The OT actively participates in quality improvement initiatives. The OT acts in a client-centered manner to address the occupational performance issues impacting clients’ functional levels in the community. The OT will work with clients on a regular basis to enable clients’ independent living skills and ability to adapt their environment to function independently in their community.
The OT is responsible for:
- conducting assessments, including home-based environmental assessments for certain clients who will require training by a blind staff member in their home;
- developing care plans,
- providing education,
- evaluating progress, and
- making internal and external referrals that are relevant to BALANCE’s services.
Qualifications and Skills
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy from a recognized university.
- Current or pending registration in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario is required.
- Excellent professional judgment, conflict resolution and inter-professional communication skills.
- Commitment to client-centered and evidence-based practice
- Experience with the application of outcome measures relevant to clients’ occupational issues
- Efficient time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of community resources in the City of Toronto is recommended
- Knowledge of vision rehabilitation techniques and strategies is preferred, however, BALANCE will provide orientation and training as necessary.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by January 15, 2018, to:
Deborah Gold, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posting-December 18, 2017
Administrative Assistant (Part-time, Contract)
BALANCE for Blind Adults seeks a part-time administrative assistant to provide support to the Accreditation Lead. In so doing, high skill in the Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel), as well as the ability to quickly learn new online platforms, to format documents, and to edit other people’s writing, are required skills. The part-time Administrative Assistant will also provide reception support. Hours/week: 8. Day of the week: Fridays. To apply, please send resume (Word format only) and cover letter by email to Chelsea Mohler, BALANCE Accreditation Lead, at: email@example.com