BALANCE for Blind Adults is an Employer of Choice for persons who are blind or partially sighted. Over 50% of our employees are blind or have low vision and have been vision rehabilitation service users themselves. The level of employment among blind persons in Canada is disgraceful. Only about 35% have jobs, so we at BALANCE are proud of the fact that we are setting an example to other employers in the city of Toronto and in Canada. We seek out experienced and knowledgeable people and we believe that lived experience helps to create a dynamic, caring and empathetic learning environment. At BALANCE, we also provide a supportive management approach which permits growth and development in the workplace. We believe that a caring workplace builds a strong staff team, which in turn improves programs and services and benefits our clients.
Volunteer Coordinator (Part-time)
BALANCE for Blind Adults has been providing programs and services to persons living with vision loss in the Greater Toronto Area for 32 years. Funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, as a Community Support Service, and with 8 staff, we run individual and group lessons in assistive technology, orientation and mobility training, and community engagement, as well as providing Occupational Therapy services. BALANCE is now bringing back our volunteer program, and as such we are seeking a Volunteer Coordinator to rebuild the program from the ground up with new goals and objectives, to support the mission and operations plan of the organization.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for developing and managing the volunteer team, and developing and coordinating the Volunteer Program. This position is best served with a strong administrative background, multitasking, and the ability to manage the work of others. Our goal is to build out a volunteer program that will serve to support the many aspects of our direct services and our group programs for clients. People skills and the ability to be social and sociable, are key qualities for the person in this position.
- Provide a positive, professional and safe working environment at all times
- Volunteer management including: marketing, recruitment of skilled volunteers, screening, orientation, scheduling, training, recognition, attendance monitoring and maintenance of volunteer records and data
- Liaise with BALANCE staff to meet program and office support needs through the management of volunteers
- Evaluate, update and expand archival protocols/manuals and other material, and write new volunteer program policies in compliance with accreditation expectations
- Responsible for retention of volunteers through recognition, conflict resolution, regular communication, relationship building, and other means
- Some involvement with public speaking, fundraising, administrative duties and other duties as needed
- Liaise with outside organizations for the purposes of building relationships on behalf of BALANCE, and foster volunteer recruitment opportunities
- Support community based events hosted by BALANCE-planning, organization, venue bookings, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director to set Volunteer Program goals and strategic planning
- Provide information to the Executive Director for developing Volunteer Program budget for the next fiscal year
- Graduate of a volunteer management program or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1 year’s experience managing a medium to large volunteer program in a professional setting
- Strong administrative experience an asset
- Strong training and facilitation skills
- Problem solver and critical thinker
- Commitment to excellence
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Professional, highly organized and self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, high proficiency in computer skills and presentations
- Valid driver’s license; own vehicle available for occasional use an advantage
Please note: This position is Part-time (2 days/week (14 hours)), flexible hours an option. The BALANCE offices are located in Toronto’s “West Bend” at the corner of Dundas West and Bloor Streets. We serve clients, in their homes and community spaces, all over the City of Toronto. Those wishing full time work need not apply.
To Apply: Please e-mail both cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; include “Volunteer Coordinator Job Application” in the subject line, and address to Deborah Gold. We sincerely thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. BALANCE for Blind Adults is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Please, no inquiries; please do not apply through indeed.ca.